Saturday, August 23, 2008

Oregon: Economic Growth without Population Growth

I visited Oregon on vacation. When I started pumping my gas, an attendant ran over and informed me that by state law I was not free to pump my own gas. I had to step aside and let him finish pumping my gas and hand me my receipt.

Oregon obviously lacks economic growth. One of my sisters lives there and told me that people move to Oregon without jobs because it is beautiful. Then they struggle to find employment because there are few jobs available in Oregon.

I read many years ago an article that said people in Oregon did not want their state to become over crowded and polluted like California.

I posted earlier the speculation that a research project for a Nobel Prize in Economics would be economic growth without population growth.

Oregon would be a great laboratory to test methods of growing the economy without growing the population.

Robert

No comments: